I cannot improve on this article so I will just punt and allow you to uncover for yourself the corruption the Unions have foisted on Illinois with the help of Jim Madigan.
If you have watched the news at any point since Trump met Putin, you have no doubt heard the gross absurdity of people like Hillary Clinton, and a gaggle of liberal simpletons. It’s getting tiresome… really! Hillary Clinton, my favorite “plastic banana” metaphorically of course, actually said Trumps comments at his news conference with Putin was: “equivalent to Pearl Harbor”. Really? Can she possibly be serious? Does she even know what happened at Pearl Harbor? Seriously!!! To use a cliche: “Actions speak louder than words”. To put it another way: “Words can never be equivalent to actions… EVER!!!” At Pearl Harbor 100’s of AMERICAN SOLDIERS were actually killed and numerous battleships were destroyed. That’s real… especially to the soldiers who died that day. Trump using the word “would” versus “wouldn’t” cannot forever be equivalent to Pearl Harbor. Oh sure I believe he distrusts our intelligence agencies which his word usage at the Putin press conference clearly suggested. But I do too. Don’t kid yourself, bias influences how one views situations and I believe for time immemorial people in power or having power, have allowed their personal biases to cloud, if not consciously impact their judgment and actions. And it shouldn’t surprise anyone.
In conclusion, these “galactical” (sic) over-the-top statements by Trumps opponents ie Hollyweird, talking heads, pundits, liberals, and the uninformed nitwits at large about Trump’s recent Putin press conference are fomenting anger in Americans, which I suspicion could lead to large-scale violence in 2020.
I am furious how the democrats are turning illegal immigration into a political brownie point. Democrats could resolve the issue, but instead being the political HACKs they are, they are doing nothing except sowing acrimony and outrageous claims of our immigration actions being akin to “Nazi Germany”. Democrats and the media are claiming Trump is maliciously separating families in the name of fighting illegal immigration and in turn is causing horrific pain and suffering to these poor people seeking only a better life.
FACTS: 12,000 children are now being housed by the Federal government under conditions we all know are superior to the condition from which they came. 10,000 of these children came here under Obama and came alone without a parent. 2,000 are approximately the number of children separated from their parents during Trump’s term thus far. 2,000 children is sad, but it pails by comparison to Nazi Germany. Fuckin democrats and the media won’t tell you these facts because these facts would not cause the turmoil that a bogus absurd blanket fact less statement makes. The biggest culprits in this sham scam are Schmuck Shumer and Nancy Nitwit Pelosi. They should be ashamed of their use of a sad situation to gain political advantage. These two epitomize why Trump was elected. American’s are fuckin’ tired of politicians seeking only power and money for their personal gain… managing our lives through their stupid policies and actions. In their power grab, they seek to create dissension and division among our people. They all should be “term limited” and thrown off the golden gate bridge inside a burlap bag and drowned in their left coast sanctuary city’s San Francisco Bay.
What is going on specifically? Parents or human traffickers or drug cartels are sending people from south of our border across our border for the sole purpose of seeking asylum because they are not happy where they live. I say tough shit!! Hell if I thought about it I could probably find something that I am not happy with… get over it. Reform your sad sack of shit country and stay home. We don’t need you. We are fine just as we are and if you are not here now, don’t come.
Anyway, in the process of illegally entering the United States seeking asylum, children are caught in the crossfire and in some cases are separated from their adult travel companions allegedly their parents. Ludicrous… these parents are at fault for any child being separated. These people should never have traveled to the United States in the beginning, they have been told there is zero tolerance for illegal immigration. I strongly support zero tolerance for illegal immigration and most Americans do, but I don’t support separating families. So Congress get off you dumb fat asses and do something in particular you democrats… because without your support the Republicans cannot pass legislation to change the current policy.
For those who read this, and are not like minded ask yourself: “What are the democrats doing to resolve this situation?” Seriously… WTF are they doing? NOTHING!!! They are using this to create a political talking point. Notice every democrat interviewed makes reference to “Nazi Germany”… it’s a coordinated effort by the democrats and the media to take back Congress and fuck up the positive trajectory we finally are traveling as a Country.
Bottom-line, we cannot continue to let everyone walk all over us. And illegal immigrants are kicking us squarely in the teeth as they CHOOSE to violate our laws. They know they are not welcome here illegally, but they CHOOSE to ignore our laws. I say stay home and you won’t have to deal with any small inconvenience you might suffer being processed through our system for illegal entrants. Enough said.
Trump is by far the most unusual President I have experienced in my 58 years on this planet. That said, I wanted to take a look back at the various Presidents during my lifetime and attempt to recall public sentiment, events of the day and facts that are not widely known or shared. And in the process set the stage for looking through the presidential prism at our current President Donald Trump. Here are my thoughts:
- JFK: I was born shortly before JFK took office. My assessment is truly based on partial memories and gossip amongst friends, family and on TV. JFK was an extraordinary president. He looked presidential, he acted presidential… he was President in all aspects. He seemed to always be on his “game”. He made some blunders, i.e. “Bay of Pig”, but while BOP was an embarrassment for the USA, JFK stared down Krushev during the Cuban missile crisis, and Krushev blinked. From a foreign policy standpoint, JFK was steely. He cut taxes as if he were a Republican because he understood economic growth and its relationship to tax rates. If you were an unsophisticated rube back in those days, you might fall prey to a 70% tax bracket so Kennedy’s tax cuts were needed for more than purely economic reasons, his tax cuts were needed to reduce the absurdly progressive tax code that was nothing less than confiscatory. I believe Kennedy was a rare quality as I believe he was transformational. He embraced NASA, he established the Peace Corp. He was young and vibrant and except for the “cold war” scares, I believe the citizenry were pleased with Kennedy. He ushered in a new era… a change from the old white male guard, to a new generation that largely had not experienced the depression… and many had not even experienced WWII. In my lifetime, JFK the greatest national tragedy, but his legacy lives on even today albeit it has been diminished. And while only 3 years old when JFK was murdered, I remember the bleak black and white TV broadcast of JFK’s funeral. It was an eerie time in the United States. The public was nervous about what was going on… you had BOP, you had Cuban Missile Crisis, you had JFK’s assassination conspiring to create a unnerving sense of tragedy. And then RFK and MLK were murdered in the coming years… all conspiring to create sense of trepidation throughout much of the 60’s. Ironically LBJ picked up the pieces from JFK, despite JFK noticeably did not care for LBJ. Often RFK was more involved in governing than LBJ yet RFK was only attorney general.
- LBJ: LBJ was the tallest President at 6’4 1/2” inches about 1/2 inch taller than Lincoln. He was a mean hard-ass bastard from what I’ve read. It was his way or else. He was crude, vulgar and sometimes disgusting, unrelated to his Texas roots. Texans are not such as he. But he had a vision of eliminating poverty which the term “Great Society” was coined. And he bamboozled MLK on civil rights legislation, but to his credit he did pass civil rights legislation which was part of JFK’s legacy. But in summation, LBJ while not personally transformational, left a lasting mark on this country that we today suffer from particularly in the black and Hispanic communities. I reference the “Great Society”. LBJ’s sweeping poverty campaign changed the family dynamic. Before his welfare reforms, families took care of families particularly the young folk. Out of wedlock births were frowned upon and some were chastised for their indiscretions. No racial class exceeded 15% out of wedlock births. But LBJ’s legislation put government smack dab in the middle of the nuclear family. No longer did families have to take care of families. Now the government could offer an alternative in the form of welfare. Suddenly, out of wedlock births began rising. The welfare roles increased… not dramatically but signs were there. I contend once the government began taking care of families, i.e. kids having babies, rather than families taking care of families, we lost the war on poverty and began the creation of generations of children having children. We as a Country were okay with “out of wedlock” babies and fatherless homes. With the benefit of welfare, young mothers could have out of wedlock children and Uncle Sam would pay for it. It was still frowned upon, but young women could simply leave home and start families without the benefit of family values. And it was this loving family that instilled the notion that out of wedlock babies were not to be tolerated. Today we are suffering from LBJ’s legislation. Today 70% of black children are born out of wedlock, Hispanic 50% and whites have reached 30%. This is a national tragedy. Where the FUCK are the fathers?
- Nixon: For starters Nixon looked like just another crooked politician. He was presidential, but didn’t always act presidential. He was peculiar looking and peculiar acting. My recollection is that Nixon was more of a Statesman than president. He opened up China to the western world which a monumental feat that we benefit from even today. But other than China, I really don’t recall any other notable events in Nixon’s presidency except WATERGATE and his appearance on “Laugh-in” a weekly comedy show similar to today’s SNL. I remember WATERGATE hearings consuming most of the day’s TV programming. It was a marathon of daily hearings. As I look back, Nixon may well have become a noteworthy president were it not for WATERGATE, but sadly he was vilified in the media and was dogged by special prosecutors and other life-long bureaucrats wanting his impeachment. Ultimately he resigned, but his only sin was covering up the WATERGATE break-in. He knew nothing about it in advance, he didn’t authorize the crackpot break-in, but he didn’t come clean. And ultimately it was his secretive nature that was his downfall. Had he come forward, like Reagan with Iran-contra, he may well have served 2 terms. Nixon would have destroyed Carter in a presidential race absent WATERGATE
- Ford: I really can’t recall much of anything Ford did or didn’t do. He was a placeholder. He did pardon Nixon which was the right thing, but it cost him reelection. Ford almost lost the primaries to Reagan as Reagan was up and coming.
- Carter: As President, he was merely a placeholder although the economy was decent, but it was failing miserable towards the end of his tenure. Further Carter allowed Iran to humiliate this Country for well over a year with hostages taken from the American Embassy. Carter made me feel our better days were behind us. We were being told to conserve gasoline and natural gas. Wear a sweater and turn your thermostat down was something I will never forget. I seem to recall a “fireside chat” where Carter talked with the American people. And he was wearing his sweater. He talked to us in such a way, that you truly felt the future was bleak. To add to this, we had the “hostage crisis”. Carter was brilliant intellectually, but as a leader he didn’t inspire anyone rather just the opposite. He can truly be called “the placeholder”.
- Reagan: I did not vote for Reagan, instead being from blue collar roots, I voted for Jimmy Carter. Looking back it was hard to believe for me and for my entire family that we voted for Carter, but we did. We followed our parents and grandparents line of thinking where Democrats were for the workin’ man. Reagan came along and opened our eyes to the idea that “your only limitation is yourself”. And you didn’t need the government to help you to be successful. We embraced “self-reliance” over government reliance as we could see the impact of government in our lives and it wasn’t a net positive. Reagan inherited a severe recession from Carter and his solution was to cut taxes and the economy exploded. Reagan’s approach to the economy was coined “supply side economics” derived from Arther Laffer’s oddly shaped graph that showed how raising taxes actually decreased revenue and cutting taxes actually increased revenue. It was the same ingredient Kennedy had applied to a depressed economy 20 years earlier, but Kennedy never got accolades for his economic policies. Here are a couple charts that are instructional.
This chart shows each President’s highest single year GDP. GDP is the “gross domestic product” or in other words it is the dollar value of: personal consumption, goods produced, government spending, and services. These are added together to arrive at a GDP. Current GDP is nearly $20trillion of which 75% is personal consumption. Given this, public sentiment is paramount to a successful economy.
The above charts shows a couple things. First the average growth rate since WWII is 2.9%. Surprisingly few Presidents averaged this level. In more current times since 1990 only Clinton averaged more than 2.9%. Since Truman the lowest average GDP growth belongs to Obama. No one will tell you this, no one will believe this, but Obama’s economic policies led to the most anemic economic recovery since Truman. Even the much maligned GW Bush greatly exceeded Obama’s average growth rate. And keep in mind, GW had to drag the economy out of the abyss of 911. Most people forget that 911 crippled the economy as bad or worse than the recession of 2008 inherited by Obama. After 911 the economy fell flat on its face. Remember for 3 days air traffic was shuddered across the US. Bush dragged the economy back with tax cuts and while he had other debacles i.e. wars, that impacted the public’s sentiment and economic growth he was not the least effective leader in my lifetime.
To continue my Reagan assessment, I recall, during Reagan’s presidency, American’s were again proud which was immortalized in the song by Charlie Daniels “In America”… the song gives me chills even today as I remember it was a period of time where after years of malaise and negativity America was “back” again. Paste URL into your browser to see live version of song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kB7OR161-U.
Getting back to Reagan, he had a year that exceeded 7% GDP among one of the best of all Presidents since GDP was measured.
GDP growth fueled consumption and it became a viscous upward spiraling situation. We felt we could achieve anything. It was at this time I converted to being a conservative.
Arthur Laffers’ curve that showed the higher you raise taxes the less revenue you actually receive. The lower the tax rates actually generate more taxes due to economic growth.
I was now a believer in Reagan. I was not always supportive, but as my personal income began to climb, my perspective changed. I saw how insidious taxes were to my disposable income and personal wealth. I began to resent the government and my sense was that much of the money the government received was squandered, wasted, or stolen.
Below are what I recall as Reagan’s notable accomplishments
- Ended the COLD WAR
- He presided over a healthy growing economy with fairly low debt
- Reduced regulations stimulating small business growth
- Changed public sentiment from the Carter years where we were told we “can’t do” those things that made us Americans such as conspicuous consumption to an attitude where we “can do” anything we can dream. This is no small feat to rearrange the public’s perspective on the future. Optimism was abound.
Things I didn’t agree with
- Amnesty for 3 million illegals.
- Iran Contra affair where money from sales of guns to Iran was funneled to Contras to fight Nicaraguan government. This is from memory only will need to be validated
George H.W. Bush – Work in progress
Bill Clinton – My opinion of his presidency has taken a 180 from the time he left office. At the time he left office I felt he was a disgrace to the presidency… his affair with M. Lewinski was embarrassing for me as a parent. Trying to explain to a 10 year old son why Clinton was being investigated was not pleasant. And I did not at the time like his policies which were liberal leaning. But today, ignoring his affairs and sexual harassment of multiple women including a claim of rape, he was a good president. He didn’t destroy the economy like most modern day democrats and he pushed people off the welfare roles in record numbers. He presided over one of the best 8 year periods of economic growth since WWII. I am not sure that his policies had anything to do with the economic growth, but the key was he didn’t get in the way of the economy like future presidents in particular Obama. My personal wealth sky-rocketed and then abruptly was erased by the total collapse of the tech bubble… and Enron, and other billion dollar bankruptcies. Again, Clinton didn’t have anything directly to do with these economic events. In summary Clinton was acceptable to me as a governor of the economy and defense of this Country which is the primary obligation of the federal government. He was not exceptional nor transformational, but he was a good “placeholder”. Only his seemingly criminal advances against multiple women cause me to frown on his tenure as President. And today, with the many many accusations by countless women against men in high places for sexual harassment, I would not be surprised if Clinton is not sued again in civil court for damages. Paula Jones won $750k in a civil suit against Clinton which you will never hear in the media. The Clinton’s are immune from criminal charges, but if you believe some of the women’s accusations Clinton would be in serious jeopardy of criminal charges of rape in one instance. While these statements could be arguably unfounded and false, I cannot fathom why any woman would put themselves through the scrutiny of the liberal media then and now if there were not some truth to their stories.
George W. Bush – work in progress
Barrack Obama – For all the praise the liberal media heaped on Obama he actually ranks below Carter when you look at his overall performance.
Media list of Obama accomplishments:
- Rescued the country from the Great Recession, cutting the unemployment rate from 10% to 4.7% over six years. NOT SURE WHETHER TO CONSIDER THIS EXCEPTIONAL, EXPECTED OR MEDIOCRE. WHY? WELL THERE IS NOTHING TO COMPARE TO. WHAT IF REAGAN HAD BEEN PRESIDENT, AFTERALL HE CAME IN DURING A RECESSION AND THE ECONOMY EXPLODED. CLINTON CAME IN AFTER A RECESSION AND THE ECONOMY EXPLODED. OBAMA’S ADMINISTRATION OVERSAW A RECOVERY, BUT WHEN YOU LOOK AT IT COMPARED TO OTHER RECOVERIES, YOU CANNOT ARGUE THAT IT WAS AN EXPLOSIVE OR EXCEPTIONAL RECOVERY. AND DURING THE 8 YEARS OF HIS ADMINISTRATION HIS HIGHEST YEAR OF GROWTH WAS 2.6%… and his average growth rate was a meager 1.5%. THE LOWEST OF ANY PRESIDENT SINCE WW2 and worse than Jimmy Carter and GW Bush. ANOTHER BAROMETER OF THE ECONOMY IS DEBT TO GDP RATIO. THE HIGHER THE DEBT THE BIGGER THE DRAIN ON GDP THUS LOWER ECONOMIC GROWTH. CHART SHOWS OBAMA’S RECORD
- Signed the Aﬀordable Care Act which provided health insurance to over 2 million uninsured Americans. JURY STILL OUT AS TO SUCCESS. LIES WERE PERPETUATED ON THE PUBLIC IN ORDER TO PASS LEGISLATION. THE GREATEST LIES WERE: KEEP YOUR DOCTOR AND KEEP YOUR PLAN. BOTH CHANGED FOR MOST AMERICANS. OVERALL MORE COVERED, BUT COSTS FOR THOSE ALREADY COVERED SKY-ROCKETED WHILE COVERAGE DECREASED.
- Ended the war in Iraq. VACUUM CREATED ISIS THAT KILLED THOUSANDS BY BARBARIC MEANS. NO MEANINGFUL EFFORT WAS MADE TO STOP THE GROUPS SPREAD. RED LINES WERE DRAWN AND OBAMA WAS TOO WEAK TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH HIS THREATS OF RETALIATION. WEAK LEADER ON PAR WITH JIMMY CARTER.
- Ordered for the capture and killing of Osama Bin Laden – VERY IMPRESSIVE
- Passed the $787 billion America Recovery and Reinvestment Act to spur economic growth during the Great Recession. HUGE MISTAKE ALTERNATIVES ABOUNDED THAT WOULD HAVE ACTUALLY HAD AN IMPACT. DID NOT SPUR MEANINGFUL ECONOMIC GROWTH.
- Supported the LGBT community’s ﬁght for marriage equality. LGBT COMMUNITY IS LESS THAN 3% OF TOTAL POPULATION. FOR THE AVERAGE AMERICAN THIS HAD LITTLE TO NO MEANING. EFFORT WAS WASTED THAT COULD HAVE BEEN SPENT ON MORE IMPORTANT THINGS.
- Helped put the United States on for energy independence by 2020 – ABSURD. OBAMA FOUGHT DRILLING ON FEDERAL LANDS AND KEYSTONE PIPELINE… BOTH IMPORTANT TO THE GOAL OF ENERGY INDEPENDENCE. FURTHER, OBAMA WAS AN ENEMY OF O&G INDUSTRY THROUGH USE OF NOT ONLY RESTRICTIONS ON FEDERAL LAND, BUT EPA REGULATION
- Commuted the sentences of nearly 1200 drug oﬀenders to reverse “unjust and outdated prison sentences”. PROBABLY A GOOD THING AS FEDERAL SENTENCES ARE ABSURDLY TOO LONG FOR THE CRIME PARTICULARLY NON-VIOLENT CRIMES.
- Began the drawdown of troops in Afghanistan – MISTAKE ADVANCES MADE IN AFGHAN WERE SQUANDERED AND AFGHAN IS SPIRALING BACK TO STONE AGES UNDER TALIBAN INSURGENCE
- Signed the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act to re-regulate banking industry. AFTER NEAR ECONOMIC COLLAPSE IN 2008, DODD-FRANK WAS PASSED TO ENSURE THE LARGEST BANKS AND FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS HAD SIGNIFICANT FINANCIAL RESERVES TO PREVENT LOSING POSITIONS IN DERIVATIVES AND OTHER EXOTIC FINANCIAL INSTRUMENTS FROM BANKRUPTING A FIRM. TO COMPLY WITH REGULATION ADDED COSTS TO FINANCIAL INFRASTRUCTURE WHICH WAS PASSED ALONG TO CONSUMERS IN HIGHER BANKING COSTS. FURTHER, THE LAW REDUCED LENDING TO SMALL BUSINESSES AND CONSUMERS THUS STIFLING ECONOMIC GROWTH AND SHUTTING MANY POTENTIAL BORROWERS OUT OF THE MARKET. LAW IS BEING DISMANTLED BY TRUMP AS TOO COSTLY TO THE ECONOMY, TO CONSUMERS AND TO SMALL BUSINESSES PLUS MAKES OUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS LESS ABLE TO COMPETE INTERNATIONALLY. YOUR HUMBLE CORRESPONDENT IS UNABLE TO MAKE A DEFINITIVE STATEMENT AS TO THE BENEFITS OR LACK THEREOF TO THIS LEGISLATION. MY INSTINCTS TELL ME THIS LAW IS NET POSITIVE AS IT REDUCES THE POSSIBILITY OF A FINANCIAL CALAMITY THAT COULD UNRAVEL THE WORLD ECONOMY.
- Dropped the veteran homeless rate by 50 percent – IF TRUE NET POSITIVE
- Reversed Bush-era torture policies – NOT CLEAR THIS IS A NET POSITIVE FOR THE UNITED STATES. ONE HAS TO WEIGH AMERICAN LIVES AGAINST TERRORIST LIVES. FURTHER, TORTURE MUST BE DEFINED MORE CLEARLY. WATER BOARDING WITH DOCTOR SUPERVISION SEEMS REASONABLE IF IT SAVES AMERICAN LIVES AND WOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED TORTURE IN MY MIND
- Began the process of normalizing relations with Cuba – NO CLEAR THIS IS A NET POSITIVE FOR UNITED STATES
- Increased Department of Veteran Aﬀairs funding – NOT MEANINGFUL AS INCREASE FELL FAR SHORT OF WHAT WAS ACTUALLY NEEDED. CORRUPTION AND INEPTNESS STILL REMAIINED
- Signed the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility, and Disclosure Act
- Boosted fuel eﬃciency standards for cars – NET POSITIVE FOR CLIMATE, NET NEGATIVE FOR CONSUMER AS COST TO IMPROVE STANDARD WILL BE VERY EXPENSIVE AND PASSED ALONG TO CONSUMER IN HIGHER COSTS.
- Improved school nutrition with the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act – NOT MEANINGFUL IN THE SCHEME OF THINGS
- Helped negotiate the landmark Iran Nuclear Deal – NOT CLEAR THIS WAS “LANDMARK” AS IT IS BECOMING CLEAR IRAN DECEIVED UNITED STATES ON THEIR PROGRESS IN NUCLEAR GRADE MATERIALS. AND IN THE MEANTIME IRAN IS WORKING TOWARDS GETTING ICBM CAPABILITY
- Repealed the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy – NOT MEANINGFUL OR NECESSARY. CURRENT POLICY WAS WORKING JUST FINE.
- He signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to combat pay discrimination against Women. NET POSITIVE TO EMPLOYEES AND WOMEN
- Nominated Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court, making her the ﬁrst Hispanic ever to serve as a justice – NOT CLEAR THIS WAS MEANINGFULLY POSITIVE
- Won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 “for his extraordinary eﬀorts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples”. DEMONSTRATES THE BIAS AND LIBERALISM OF NOBEL PRIZE. OBAMA’S EFFORTS WERE DIFFICULT TO QUANTIFY AND HIS EFFORTS WERE NOT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE UNITED STATES. OBAMA SEEMED TO PROMOTE THE IDEA THAT AMERICANS WERE NOTHING MORE THAN GLOBAL CITIZENS AND A NORMAL PART OF THE WORLD FABRIC. POPPYCOCK… AS GOES THE UNITED STATES GOES THE REST OF THE WORLD. OUR ECONOMY DWARFS ALL OTHERS. AT A TAD SHORT OF 20 TRILLION GDP WE ARE NEARLY DOUBLE THAT OF CHINA WHO HAS 4 TIMES THE POPULATION AND RUSSIA PRESUMED BY THE AVERAGE PERSON AS BEING A LARGE ECONOMY IS BARELY 5% OF UNITED STATES GDP AT 1.25 TRILLION ANNUAL GDP. SO THIS GLOBAL CITIZEN NON-SENSE IS UN-AMERICAN… AND SHOULD BE POINTED OUT EVERY CHANCE WE GET. WE ARE THE WORLD LEADER… END OF STORY.
- Launched My Brother’s Keeper, a White House initiative designed to help young minorities achieve their full potential – NOT MEANINGFUL TO AVERAGE AMERICAN
- Expanded embryonic stem cell research leading to groundbreaking work in areas including spinal injury treatment and cancer – NOT CLEAR THAT THIS EXPANSION OF RESEARCH HAS HAD ANY MEANINGFUL IMPACT ON SPINAL CORD INJURY OR CANCER.
- Supported veterans through a $78 billion tuition assistance GI bill – NET POSITIVE
- Signed the Hate Crimes Prevention Act, making it a federal crime to assault anyone based on sexual or gender identiﬁcation. NOT MEANIGFUL TO AVERAGE AMERICAN.
- Signed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals DACA allowing as many as 5 million people living in the U.S. illegally to avoid deportation. NOT CLEAR THIS WAS A NET ADVANTAGE TO UNITED STATES. FURTHERMORE, IT WAS UNCONSTITUTIONAL AND WAS REPEALED BY TRUMP IN FAVOR OF CONGRESS PASSING A LAW MAKING IT LEGAL. AS PART OF NEGOTIATION WITH CONGRESSS, TRUMP AGREED TO MAKE THESE PEOPLE PERMANENT CITIZENS BUT SCHMUCK SHUMER AND THE DEMOCRATS WOULD NOT AGREE BECAUSE TRUMP WANTED A WALL IN EXCHANGE. WALL OVERWHELMINGLY SUPPORTED BY PUBLIC.
Donald Trump: Trump is clearly a wild card. He says things and does things that are uncharacteristic of a president. He does not allow any person or party or country to besmirch him, his policies or the United States. One must admit that his supporters are passionate… far far more passionate than any other President in my lifetime. He seems to be turning everything upside down. He has upset allies, antagonized enemies, and has changed the notion that American’s are “global citizens” but rather are “Americans” first and secondarily global citizens. His mantra is “America First” which does not sound far-fetched in the scheme of things. Let’s be honest, every Country in the world puts their interests FIRST, why shouldn’t the United States. Listening to Trump’s rhetoric one might be unnerved, but his rhetoric seems to be part of his shtick and is used to negotiate his policies. Why do I say this… Trump’s policies frankly are what we have needed since Reagan. Look at what he does rather than what he says and most Americans agree with his policies. Does anyone want the United States to continue to strangle business with needless regulations and anti-growth tax policies, cause businesses to leave money overseas rather than repatriating those monies to the US because of confiscatory tax rates, and allow unrestricted immigration of large numbers of the poorest and least educated people in the world? “Of course not” is the answer to the question posed. Sure we have been conditioned to say stupid things like; “Restricting immigration is against our values”. This is an absurd statement when you look at the history of the US in the 20th century. How much sense does it make to bring indigent people here to soak up our tax dollars at the expense of struggling Americans. And “chain immigration” and “lottery immigration” exacerbate an already out of control illegal immigration situation. Trump claims to have solved the Obamacare debacle, but he hasn’t. He did away with mandates which were the core requirement of Obamacare that gives it any chance of success. Obamacare is now too expensive and provides pathetic coverage. Obamacare should be changed to allow for greater access to creative medical policies that were widely available prior to socializing of medicine. Further, Trump is reinvigorating NASA which is a net positive. One CANNOT deny Trump’s tax cuts, NOT Obama’s policies have caused the economy to explode. Growth is approaching 4% after 16 months. One has to admit this is extraordinary or be in complete denial of the obvious. Unemployment is at the lowest points ever recorded for Blacks and Hispanics… in 60+ years of keeping stats. ISIS is but an asterisk in the history books under Trump. The media is relentless from my vantage point in trying to ridicule and criticize every statement or policy or law Trump says/proposes/enacts. For the first time in my life, I feel a positive patriotic feeling towards our Country. Standing at attention with hand over heart feels good again. And public optimism is at all time highs. Since Bush 43, I have felt a slow decline in morale of this Country. I feel Obama was a low point. I conclude Trump, unlike any President since Kennedy, Trump is transformational. But I would argue that Trumps lack of political acumen and tone deafness to political hackism, makes him He is transforming how the world looks and how we look at the United States. No longer are we oddly enough allowing every Country or special interest group to walk all over America. Who doesn’t applaud Trumps positive effects on the economy… I welcome comments, but I believe Trump is the right man for the times. Hillary Clinton would have been a fucking bona fide disaster and we all know it. Hell the woman is still litigating the election as if somehow Trump will step down and she can be coronated. Trump is transformational whereas most President have been placeholders governing the “aircraft carrier” called the United States, but simply governing is not what we need at this time and place. We need drastic change to throw out lifelong parasite politicians in favor of citizen politicians as the founders envisioned.
R41545Written in 2011 updated in 2018: I wrote last year a diatribe about our national debt. At that point, I saw only 3 possible solutions to our debt problem… keep in mind we were under 15 trillion a year ago… 1.) Inflate our dollar so debt is paid back in less valuable dollars. This is done by simply printing money. The more you print the less valuable the dollar becomes. So a dollar worth $1.00 today, could be equal to $0.30 in 5 years. Now you have cut your debt in “real terms” by 66%. 2.) Go bankrupt… real simple, we just renege on our obligations. 3.) Increase taxes to pay off the debt. Not popular and soon becoming an impossible tactic as there are not enough taxpayers to tax. You can only confiscate 100% of a person’s income. And if you start doing some simple mathematics you discover we are approaching a point where taxes are going to have to rise to 70-75% of everyone’s income.
Update 2018: Ironically our debt is above 21 trillion in 2018 up 6 trillion in a little more than 7 years. The above three solutions still are applicable to the debt situation solutions. I would add another option. 4.) Supply side economics… if we could consistently grow the economy to produce surpluses instead of debt, that could be a partial solution in addition to some of the above debt bomb measures. But frankly, our government follows no generally accepted economic practice. Our economic steering mechanisms are only two: 1.)Keynesian policy and 2.)Monetarist practice. We practice neither in reality.
Keynes’ theory of how to level out the economy was to save surpluses to smooth over recessions. Thus the economy in theory would be somewhat stable. Instead we run deficits each and every year. In good times of economic growth we deficit spend and in recessions we absurdly overspend to prop up the economy.
Monetarist theory is to use interest rates and tax cuts to manage the economy. In times of growth interest rates are increased to stave off inflation and keep the economy from going overboard. This could tilt the economy towards a recession, but if that is detected by the Federal Reserve they reduce interest rates to keep the economy steaming without inflation. The combination of interest rate adjustments and tax cuts have historically led to surpluses in the budget due to economic growth.
The Monetarist approach is closest to what the U.S. practices. But surpluses are rare despite the current strong economic growth of the Trump economy. Obama languished in mediocre economic growth. He eve suggested a new paradigm where growth was going to be less than 2% for the United States in this New World order. Well President Trump proved once again give Americans freedom to earn money and further to keep more, leads to growth. Obama had no clue. His recipe was deficit spending. Recall the 900 billion he gave away in 2009 on projects. That deficit spending which Keynes agreed could be necessary, should be modeled to grow the economy. Instead it got lost in the bureaucracy. If Obama would have given every man, woman and child in the US $2500 the economy would have exploded as people would have spent a large portion thus growing the economy. Stupidity reins supreme in Washington, but thank god for Trump’s common sense approach. It’s refreshing despite his many gaffe and misstatements of fact.
I am unlucky enough to be self-employed in a time where medical insurance premiums are escalating at absurd rates and simultaneously so are the deductibles.
Given my deductible of $5,000, I pretty much have nothing but catastrophic insurance and must pick up my own medical expenses. One of those expenses is prescription drugs. And it is prescription drugs that causes me to ask: “How is this possible?” And to cause you to ask the same question I will lay out quickly my experience purchasing my medications.
Prior to 2017, my deductible was low enough I had some medical expenses paid for by insurance. Not anymore, now I pay out of my pocket.
Under my new deductible plan, I go to Walgreens to pick up my monthly supply of medications. They fill them and I go to pick them up. Like in the past, they fumble around trying to find all 5, and eventually find them. They ring them up and present me the bill. Now I am not certain whether I fainted or screamed at that point, but either would be appropriate. The bill was $1200 for one month. $1200 I say. There must be a mistake. NOPE. I need these medications, but I didn’t have a spare $1200. So I decline the purchase. FUCK IT. But then I am reminded I need those medications.
I call my insurance agent and he tells me about a mail order plan that is cheaper, but you have to purchase 90 days. Oh great, I suppose that will be cheaper but still the magical $1200 mark.
Much to my total amazement and shock and curiosity the monthly amount worked out to be $123…. yes $123. WTF, how is this possible? If this is true, someone in the chain of production and delivery of prescription drugs is making a killing.
Of course I sign up and am relieved. But I keep asking myself how is this possible. Same drugs, same everything but 10X cheaper. Really! Well it is really true. The drugs came from England. Again my curiosity is piqued. Are the drugs I got inferior? According to my Agent they meet all the standards imposed by FDA. Cool.
Ninety days pass and I am almost out. Shit it takes 2 weeks to get these prescriptions because they are coming from overseas. I am starting to panic.
I tell a friend and she tells me to check out GoodRX. I go online and look it up and once again I am shocked and amazed. I couldn’t believe it. With the GoodRX coupons, supposedly I could get the same drugs, from a 1/2 dozen local pharmacies for $123/month or LESS? Is that possible? I am still skeptical. I figure no one will honor coupons. I look them over and Meiers Pharmacy was the cheapest.
I go to Meiers, present scripts and coupons. I am still skeptical and expecting to hear: “We don’t accept these coupons”. Shocked and amazed again, the pharmacist takes the coupons.
I pick up my scripts the next day. She rings them up and shocked and amazed once again, it comes out to $80/month for a 90 day supply. WTF is going on here.
So I can pay $1200 at Walgreens per month or $80 per month at Meiers. That difference is almost a 11X difference in price for the same drugs.
THIS IS WHY OUR MEDICAL SYSTEM IS ALL FUCKED UP. Somehow, someway, someone is able to offer the exact same drugs, for 11X less than some pharmacies which means at those pharmacies someone is making a bloody fuckin’ killing. No wonder medical premiums are so high. Insurance companies probably just pay $1200, no questions. But if they shopped, they could reduce costs to the system by 11X. Is this really possible YES!
Go to GOODRX and get their coupons. These coupons are literally worth more than an ounce of gold!